Wednesday, September 30, 2015

CdM Fashion Careers: Amy Roiland Fashion Blogger


Amy Roiland, Successful LA fashion blogger
www.FashionTap.com
@FashionTapApp
@Afashionnerd
(Amy and I at the Melange tradeshow last week!)

Where did you go to school and what did you study? Did you always know you wanted to be a fashion blogger?   
- I went to CSUN and studied fashion merchandising and marketing. I started several blogs back in 2008  and finally started my current blog A Fashion Nerd over 2 years ago. I didn’t always know I wanted to be a fashion blogger I just kind of fell into it.

Why did you start blogging?
 I started blogging to help express myself and show others how to style different outfits. My style is very quirky so it can be hard for some to relate to me but fun to watch.

What blogger platform do you use?  Blogger.com

When you first started blogging, how did you grow your followers and contacts? Did you use any paid services for managing/marketing your blog? 
I started my blog A Fashion Nerd over 2 years ago and I now have over 37k followers on Instagram and over 7 million vine views. I grew all of my followers organically. I worked with some bigger brands who started posting me on their social media outlets, this is how I grew fast. I also have some youtube celebrity friends and when they took a photo with me and posted it to their large audience I would gain a lot of attention and followers. I also did some big collaborations with some really big brands and when they would repost me I would blow up. I worked VERY hard to get my followers. Don’t ever pay for them because people will find out!

How often did you post starting out? And now? 
 I posted blog posts every single day sometimes 2 times a day. I have over 730 blog posts to this day. I worked so hard and even posted blogs when I didn’t feel so well. I always shot my own photos, I use a tri pod and a clicker to take my own shots. I would travel around alone taking my own photos and getting them up the same day. I would post them on every social media outlet as well. I was consistent and nothing could get in my way. I now post once a day on Instagram and 3 times a day on FashionTap. I post a blog maybe twice a week. I am so busy lately with my app FashionTap I don’t have much time.

How many people do you have on your team now?  Just me.

What was the biggest challenge you faced starting out as a blogger and how did you overcome it?  Growing my audience was difficult. I just kept going and going and going and I wasn’t going to stop until I was big. It’s even harder now to grow your audience on an over saturated platform like Instagram. When you #fashionblogger you see food, dogs, spam… FashionTap will allow bloggers to be found by designers and other people in our database. Not only that FashionTap will allow you bloggers to be paid way easier than anywhere else. You can easily monetize your outfits on your photos on FashionTap.

Was there a turning point when you reached success and how did you know what the catalyst was? I didn’t know the exact catalyst for my blogging success. I really feel happy lately because I am working with brands like Jeffrey Campbell, Manoush, and Free People. This is huge for me. I never thought I would get to work with such big brands. I  think staying consistent and being persistent is key.

What are you doing now? Tell us about FashionTap app? 
Right now I am focusing my main attention on my app FashionTap. FashionTap is a fashion social network where users can directly tag their beauty products and clothes onto their images and when people click on what they’ve tagged they make money up to 50% of the sale. FashionTap is also a fashion database where everyone in fashion can finally be found by location and by category. If you search Austin TX you will see bloggers, brands, designers, stylists, boutiques, pr firms, models, hair, makeup, photographers, retailers, and fashion enthusiasts.

What do you see yourself doing in the future? 
Designing my own clothing line and shoe line and working as the CEO of FashionTap as well. I also want to be a motivational speaker one day and really help everyone realize their potential! You can do whatever you want always, you just have to focus on what you want.








No comments:

Post a Comment