Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Araksi Balyan: Snow Queen of LAFW


I interviewed the young designer behind the stunning all white collection that Araksi Balyan designs presented at the first official LAFW in downtown LA and found the inspiration behind the "snow queens" that graced the runway. This was one of my favorite collections from the Sunday shows. I don't think I can do it justice so I'll let Balyan tell you herself.

Where did you go to school?
I am originally from Armenia. I have been living in the United States for only 5 years. I graduated from Woodbury University in May of this year and was offered to be in LAFW shortly after.
What was your inspiration for the collection?
My collection is sophisticated yet edgy, detailed yet subtle, monochromatic yet intricate. My inspiration came from Armenian winters, which I miss the most. I created a collection that is based on one of a kind treatments, textures and details. I have knitted fabric and created laser cut patterns on leather, I have hand stitched tiny fur pieces and created fun earmuffs. Even though my silhouettes were quite sophisticated, I made my Snow Queens look fun on the runway.
Do you feel like LAFW was a success for your brand?
LAFW was quite a success. It was an incredible and eventful start for my career and I hope to make LAFW showing a tradition every season.
What are your plans for the future of your brand?
I have already started working on a new collection that is quite the opposite of what I showed this season. I will not reveal all the details just yet, but I will say that it will a combination of art and darkness. Looking forward to reveal what I have for you next!

No comments:

Post a Comment