Tuesday, July 11, 2017

CdM Guide: What to Wear on an Alaskan Cruise (And how to make it fit in your suitcase!)







Last month I set sail to Alaska on the MS Oosterdam cruise ship and the saying really is true, everything is bigger in Alaska. However, while Alaskan-size King Crab is definitely a good thing, an Alaskan size suitcase is not. That's why I made this guide for a fashionable and functional cruise wardrobe that works for all your adventures on shore as well as gala nights and poolside lounging on the ship.
I loved getting out in nature and seeing all the amazing wildlife of the Alaskan landscape as well as getting to know the people of the picturesque little towns we stopped in. In Juneau, the Alaska state capital, I even got a taste of the local fashion industry when I met the owner of Resolute Boutique, an online store for the fashion forward residents of southeast Alaska. She was so excited to help me with this project and has provided links to some of her favorite looks that might be hard to find in the summer months. Read below and prepare for your trip with tips from an expert! Check out my packing list by city for style inspiration and a specially curated list of all the essentials you'll need for your next arctic adventure!

Day 1:Arrival and Cruising the Puget Sound 


Ralph Lauren Cargo Capris 
Kate Spade Nautical striped tennis shoes 
Kate Spade blue and white striped sweatshirt 

I chose a nautical themed outfit for a day of traveling to the boat because it is light and easy to move in when carrying suitcases and boarding the ship. For the afternoon reception held on the upper deck as we left Seattle, check out this cute maxi dress from Resolute Boutique! It works perfectly for a scenic afternoon on the Puget Sound and will get you in the mood for a relaxing cruise vacation!


Shop the Look 
Lovestoned Maxi from Saltwater Luxe



















Day 2: First Day at Sea and Gala night

Tommy Hilfiger Purple Cardigan 
Call it Spring bright blue wedge heels 
Michael Kors silver sequin clutch 

On board the ship there are plenty of activities so don't forget to bring some exercise clothes in case you want to join in on one of the yoga classes or just hit the gym. I found a pair of capris and a t-shirt were fine for exploring the ship during the day. For the gala night I chose this fun maxi dress in arctic colors, my bright blue wedge sandals, and a matching tie dye silk scarf for dinner.

Shop the Look 
Wearing the Bombshell Maxi, this romantic dress is perfect for a night of music and dancing!

Bombshell Maxi

Day 3: Juneau and the hike to Mendenhall Glacier

Michael Kors gold zipper jacket 
Lucky Brand Jeans Lolita 
Fossil gold detail leather purse 
As we headed through Stephen's passage on our way to our first stop in Juneau the weather did get slightly cooler and being outside on the deck required a windbreaker and my gloves. When we got to Juneau I added my raincoat for an extra layer for the hike to Mendenhall glacier through the cool forest. It did start to drizzle however the rain didn't last long and the hike warmed me up. By the time we got back to town I decided to take off some of my extra layers. Jeans and a sweater were perfect for exploring the fun shops on Juneau's main boulevard. 




Shop the Look
Pro Tip: Weather can be a hit or miss! Pack for drizzling rain and 55 degrees, but also be prepared for 75 degrees and sunny!
The Bridget Boot Cut Jean is perfect for a day of hiking and pairs perfectly with a light raincoat! Plus check out this cute striped sweatshirt for a fun layered look

Pacific Grove Double Hooded Sweatshirt    

Bridget Slim Boot Cut

Day 4: Day at Sea and the scenic cruise to Hubbard Glacier

Express crop sweater 
Guess Jean Jacket 
Ralph Lauren rainbow plaid flannel 
Lucky Brand Jeans Bridgette 
Ralph Lauren sport plaid boat shoes 
Merona black sequin beanie 

We spent another full day at sea as we headed up to Hubbard Glacier. Some cruises might go to Glacier Bay for viewing as well, but either way it does get pretty chilly as you get closer to the ice. Standing out on the deck we got some amazing views and I would definitely recommend a hat as well as some layers. I chose a crop sweater with my jeans, a flannel shirt, and my jean jacket. There were also several places to view the glacier form inside the ship where you could hear the informational talk on the glacier and fjords if you're not up for the chilly breeze on deck. 



Shop the Look

This outfit with jeans, a black tee, flannel, and a hat is cozy and comfortable! Perfect for vacation style!


Day 5: Sitka and Kayaking through Eagle Islands

Michael Kors Royal Blue turtleneck 
Kenneth Cole white jeans 
Salvatore Ferragamo black knee high boots 

Our next stop was Sitka which is the original site of the Alaskan purchase and still has some old Russian structures. The sun was shining all day in this cute little fishing town and temperatures were about 68 degrees at one point so I didn't need much except for a light cotton turtle neck and my jeans. I brought an extra pair of tennis shoes to change into for our kayaking trip and my raincoat but didn't end up needing it. The kayaking was amazing and we spotted tons of bald eagles as we paddled through the green islands dotted throughout the bay.



Shop the Look
Check out the Ellie Lace Up Sweater, paired with the Black Farrow Jean from DL1961 which is super comfortable and easy to move in.





Day 6: Ketchikan and Zip lining in the Alaskan Rainforest plus Gala night


Classic Cozy Sweater
In Ketchikan we also had great luck and amazing weather especially since it is known as the rainiest city in Alaska! Wandering around the town with the sun out was plenty warm without a jacket. However since I went zip lining in the rain forest, I decided to go with a sweater and jeans which kept me warm in the cool trees and higher elevations. After our short stop we headed back out to sea and had another gala night on the ship. Everyone enjoyed the chance to dress up and I decided to wear this ice white quilted dress with my boots and added some bright accessories for a touch of summer. Packing a shorter hemline allows you to use your boots for days in town and nights on the ship.



















Shop the Look

Check out this relaxed sweater for a breathable and stylish look that can work with any adventure you end up on!
Plus this deep blue velvet dress is the perfect way to mix it up for a Gala night and try out a shorter hemline!


Abbot Dress      Classic Cozy Sweater

Day 7: Day at Sea and an evening in Victoria

Guess hot pink button up shirt 
American Eagle maroon vest 
Les Temps des Cerises grey jogg jeans
Salvatore Ferragamo grey flat boots 

On our last day at sea I enjoyed exploring more of the ship and attended their afternoon tea service where I wore this fun nautical look with a striped maxi skirt and a red off the shoulder top. By 6pm we had arrived in Victoria British Columbia, our last stop before we headed back to Seattle. We had great weather and since we arrived on the longest day of the year we had sunshine until around 9:15 at night. I wore a long sleeved shirt and this cute vest with jeans and boots for my trip to the amazing Butchart gardens. I found I didn't even need my hat by the time we arrived at the gardens and enjoyed viewing the quintessential English rose gardens. 



















Shop the Look

Day 8: Arrival in Seattle and disembarkation 



On our arrival back in Seattle we had another warm sunny day and a t-shirt and capris were perfect for getting off the ship and back to the airport that morning.We had great weather but I'm still glad I brought my raincoat and umbrella. Also, check out the list of my essential items below to make sure you don't forget anything important for your trip!

Essentials


Aztec Weekender BagMarlena Floral One Piece









Binoculars

Camera/phone

Umbrella

Backpack

Walking Shoes

Rain Jacket

Swimsuit

Sandals

Sunglasses

Motion Sickness Pills



     


No comments:

Post a Comment