Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Spotlight: Haute couture and Haute Cuisine collide in Milan

Update: Unfortunately this restaurant has closed


Milan, the capital of Italian fashion
and the home to many famous Italian designers is always filled with creativity and innovation. With trendsetters lining the streets and famous shopping districts such as Via Napoleone filled with the flagship stores for the likes of Armani, D&G, Marni, and Versace, fashion is everywhere. The food is no exception. Located in the high fashion district Dolce and Gabana's glamorous restaurant GOLD is my favorite place to go for trend spotting as well as delicious Eggplant Parmesan. As you approach the restaurant you would never guess it was a Dolce and Gabana original where Stefano can sometimes be spotted hanging out in the lounge. But when you walk in the door to the waiting room with the giant letters spelling Gold with an extra big O shining behind the counter and, the sleek white couches and modern chandeliers reflecting off the mirrors on every wall, you know you are in a Dolce and Gabana restaurant. I checked in and headed over to my table. My table looked out onto the boulevard and a modern chandelier hung over. The art like silverware and place setting is very fashionable. First I tasted the delicious bread basket on the table and enjoyed the Italian loafs very much. Then I ordered my favorite, a Shirley temple. As I looked over the Italian menu everything sounded delicious, I finally decoded on the Eggplant Parmesan. While I waited for my main dish to come out the restaurant began to fill up. Europeans usually eat very late. I watched the fashionable crowds file into the restaurant and listened to the hum of Italian in the room. When my eggplant parmesan came out it looked delicious and tasted even better. The eggplant was perfectly crunchy and the parmesan contrasted with the marinara sauce making the perfect combination.After finishing my meal I had just enough room left for the delectable sounding desert menu. I decided to order the cherry chocolate tray, of course! As a special treat I also decided to order the restaurant's signature dessert, a chocolate bar covered in 24k gold to take home and remember my one of a kind Dolce and Gabbana experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment