Saturday, June 13, 2015

Spotlight the J Paul Getty museum in Los Angeles


The Getty museum is located in the hills of West Los Angeles near UCLA. The white 50's mod style architecture stands out against the green hills and overlooks the city of Los Angeles with panoramic views of downtown, century city and of course the ocean. If you are planing to visit the museum you should definitely plan ahead for parking as it does fill up quickly. I would suggest getting there in the morning to secure a spot.


Right now the Getty has an exhibit on art from World War I that included German and French art and cartoons. The Getty houses all kinds of artwork and sculptures including classics such as Renoir, Degas and Monet and also exhibits on furniture, and decorations. Some of the notable works at the Getty are bluebells by Van Gogh the Dancer taking a Bow by Degas and Haystacks by Monet.




As you enter the giant open air entrance hall there is a reception desk offering iPods that have audio tours for you to borrow. I checked one out and really enjoyed the interesting facts I learned. You can choose from several themed tours including things like animals in art, Italian art, or highlights as well as while you are wandering the museum if you want more information about a painting all you have to do is type in that paintings number and an audio presentation will play. It houses the famous  impressionist painting by Monet Sunrise or Lever de soleil.



A critic had dubbed the painting an "impression" saying it was not  real art and after that all the impressionists art became known as the impressionist movement. They also have works from Cezanne, Picasso and Degas. Some of my favorite artists!

Here is a post impressionist painting by Cezanne and a Degas painting of two seamstresses. It is one of my favorites because Degas painted it to depict the darker side of fashion painting two hard working seamstresses in darker tones and with serious faces. I think it is a very interesting commentary on the seamstresses of the time.



 I also enjoyed wandering the gardens with great views of Los Angeles and interesting plant life. There is an azalea pattern formation as well as bougainvillea and  desert plants. Of course the Getty also has many other art works and I won't list them all here but I'm sure there is something for everyone.

















The Getty is also well known for its delicious food. They have a restaurant in the museum but it is suggested you make reservations beforehand. I ate at the cafe which was delicious. They have a buffet style cafe with Italian, deli, Mexican, and American cuisine. I ordered a taco salad which came with beans and rice. The plate was huge and I couldn't eat it all myself so I split it with my friend. There was plenty for both of us.

After lunch I headed over to the South Hall to the Sketching gallery. The sketching gallery is full of paintings and sculptures that you can sketch from and the Getty will provide you with paper and sketching materials. Here is my attempt at a charcoal sketch of the Getty. They were nice and put it up on the wall for me too. I thought this was a great way to take a break from walking and get involved in the art and definitely recommend it if you come to the Getty with your friends.

The Getty is a great stop to make in Los Angeles if not only for the amazing views but also for the world renowned art.


No comments:

Post a Comment