Tuesday, May 30, 2017

CdM in the Kitchen: Not Your Grandmother's Chocolate Drizzle Cake


This cake was inspired by my great grandmother's recipe for white cake topped with bittersweet chocolate drizzle but I decided to give it a modern updateby adding cherries, of course, and trying out the ombre cake trend I've been seeing all over Instagram. It's the perfect dessert for a birthday party or even just a summer get together with friends. Check out the recipe below and try it this summer for a cake that looks and tastes delicious made from fresh homemade ingredients!

Ingredients
2 boxes of White Cake mix
Eggs
Cooking Oil
4 boxes of powdered sugar
Milk
3 sticks of butter or margarine 
2 bags of Fresh Cherries
Sugar
Corn Starch
water 
Red and Pink food coloring
Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate

First I made 4 8" round cakes by filling the pan to half what I would normally fill it and then let each layer cool.
While the cakes were baking I started on the Cherry filling I used to put in between the layers for an added burst of flavor.
I pitted the first bag of cherries and put them in a small sauce pan with around half a cup of water and 4 tablespoons of sugar. I brought the mix to a boil and stirred the cherries letting them simmer for several minutes until they became soft. Then I took the mix off the stove and poured it into a strainer. I used a wooden spoon to mash the cherries up over a bowl until I had juiced all the cherries. I then poured the juice back into the saucepan. I saved some out and mixed in 1 tablespoon of corn starch to cut in while the sauce was cooking. I brought the mix to a boil and added more sugar then let it simmer while I slowly added in the corn starch mix and stirred until I found the consistency I wanted. I put the sauce into the fridge to cool and thicken to a jelly like consistency.
I then started on the homemade frosting. I sat 1 stick of margarine out to soften before putting it in a bowl and adding in the powdered sugar and a dash of milk. I mixed the ingredients adding more powdered sugar and milk until I had used 1 box of powdered sugar and had the frosting at a thick consistency.
I spread the frosting over the first layer of cake covering the top and then added a few spoonfuls of the cherry filling in the middle before repeating the process for all 4 layers.
A post shared by SierraClair (@cerisesdumatin) on
 I put the cake in the fridge to harden and let it sit overnight before taking it out the next morning and making a new batch of frosting for a crumb coat. After letting that sit I mixed the dark red food coloring into a small bowl of frosting and added a few drops of purple to make it even darker. Then I mixed pink into a separate bowl and put drops of the dark red color around the bottom of the cake and added drops of pink and light pink in the middle. I used a thin flat spatula to spread the frosting while turning the cake stand to achieve the ombre effect.

A post shared by SierraClair (@cerisesdumatin) on

Now that I had the cake frosted I melted 3 pieces of the unsweetened chocolate and spooned it on the sides of the cake to make the drip effect. I covered the top of the cake completely with more chocolate and smoothed it out to add some shine to the cake. I topped it off by piling cherries on the top of the cake and sticking them in the chocolate as it was cooling so they would stay. I also added some around the sides of the cake for a finishing touch.
Cherry lovers will enjoy the bittersweet flavors of this cake as a way to satisfy those sweet tooth cravings anytime of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment