Monday, March 30, 2015

Travel Review: Santa Barbara California





I recently visited Santa Barbara, California for a weekend getaway.  The mention of Santa Barbara elicits a picturesque coastal city lined with palm trees above a bay glistening under the warm sun.  It did not disappoint!  I had a great time relaxing in the charming seaside town. I definitely recommend this spot if you are looking for a quick and quiet escape from the city with great shopping and dining. Santa Barbara has everything from beautiful ocean views to art museums and historical monuments.

I checked into the charming Lemontree Inn which is located on State Street, the main boulevard. 

The Inn has a retro 60s style with a pool in the middle and the two stories of apartment style rooms surrounding it. Each room has a balcony facing towards the pool and Jacuzzi. The enclosed garden courtyard seemed to transport me to a time of summer pool parties and playful games. I unpacked my things and started thinking of dinner.  The Inn offered a convenient onsite restaurant called the Crocodile Restaurant, but I knew I wanted to eat on the water.  I headed down State Street which led me directly onto the pier to check out the restaurants. After looking through all the yummy sounding choices I settled on Moby Dicks. 

The cute restaurant had a nautical theme and great views of the water.


 I ordered a shrimp cocktail for an appetizer and looked over the menu trying to decide between the interesting seafood platters, steak, and Spanish cuisine.  After a difficult choice, I settled on the steak which was quite tasty.  I enjoyed the live guitar music during my meal as I watched the sunset turn from pink to purple to twilight.  

After dinner the walk along the pier was almost magical with the twinkling lights and gentle lapping of the waves.  I found easy public parking (first hour is free) behind State Street and spotted a Coldstone for dessert.  The shop boasts that it hires all employees from either SB City College or UCSB hence the great service.


Upon returning to the Lemon Tree, the courtyard garden Jacuzzi beckoned me to take a quick dip.  I joined a group there discussing the nearby hiking which sounded great.  They preferred a trail called Rattlesnake, but had also been up a canyon called Seven Falls.  For me, the hike would have to wait for another trip.  The lights went out signaling it was 10:00 and time for bed.
After a good night sleep, I had to try the heated pool for an early morning lap swim.  I met a few other guests who had planned to visit Santa Barbara for just one night on their way down the coast; however they were having such a great time they had decided to stay longer.  I wanted to be sure that I had enough time to get breakfast at a wonderful French cafe called Renauld's.  They have the most delicious hot chocolate, quiche lorraine, and fruit tart. renaulds is a wel known cafe in Santa Barbara with many great reviews and the charming atmosphere certainly lives up to the reputation. It was so hard to choose between the delicious sounding tartsd with names like...
                                                



 I took time to shop along State Street in the sunshine and ocean breeze. 

 I enjoyed a delicious lunch of fajitas at The Sand Bar, a great mexican restaurant re contended to me by the concierge at the lemon tree. 

I had a delicious McConnel's ice cream for dessert; this quaint shop has many interesting flavors. 
                                           


As I wandered down the street I smelled the delicious scent of incense and stopped at the local indian bazaar to take alook. The cute outdoor marketplace had everything from cute baubles to beautiful dresses. I bought as a cute summer beach cover up on sale for a great price. I shopped in the popular Sunglass Hut; a necessity with all the Santa Barbara sunshine. 


 I visited the Museum of Modern Art in Paseo Nuevo and finally donated money towards a local cause for a complimentary massage at Aveda. The relaxing mssage was a great way to end the trip. 
                                

No comments:

Post a Comment