Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Fashionable Friday: Adventures in Fabric Sourcing in Downtown LA


I am always interested in everything fashion including designing. I wanted to design a few things of my own and learned that the first part of the process is fabric sourcing. I was specifically looking for canvas and vinyl. When I looked at Joann's and Mood I couldn't find any good colors for a good price. The prices for the fabric would've made my designs crazy expensive. So I decided to ask around to some of my contacts in the fashion industry. I learned that the best place to find cheap fabric in Los Angeles is downtown in the Fashion district. I headed downtown and found streets full of cheap wholesale fabric and trim stores. I spent hours exploring the streets in the hot sun. the shops don't look like much from the outside and the people hanging out on the street can be a little sketchy sometimes, but everyone I met in the shops was friendly. I soon found the fabrics I was looking for for half the price of the fabrics in Joann's. There were many varieties and I decided to try fabrics from a couple different stores. Once, I asked for information on where to find cotton and the shop owner directed me down the street to Freddie the "Cotton King". Even though it was a lot of work I was happy with the fabrics I found and it was much cheaper. I definitely recommend the fashion district in downtown LA to anyone looking to experiment with new designs or sell designs. It will bring the cost of your items down by reams! Where do you go to find cheap fabric?

No comments:

Post a Comment